Let’s celebrate Canada with two of Canada’s yummiest sweets! Freshly picked strawberries and maple syrup are made into one special birthday cake: Angel Food Cake with Strawberries & Maple Syrup Chocolate Sauce!
If you’ve been living under a rock lately then you wouldn’t know that my country, my homeland, the True North – Strong and Free, will be turning 150 years old this July 1st!! It’s a pretty big deal for us Canadians, so I wanted to bake an extra special cake. It’s light and refreshing, with a chocolatey maple punch! This is the perfect show stopper cake for your outdoor party with fireworks, cocktails, canoeing, and bonfires (not in any particular order)!
I definitely feel lucky to be Canadian, we have such a beautiful and kind country. If you haven’t had a chance to visit please come by, stop in for some cake (or maybe some butter tarts) and see what all the fuss is about!
Happy Birthday Canada!!
- 1¼ cups Sifted Cake and Pastry Flour
- 1½ cups sugar, separated
- 1½ cups egg whites (use carton egg whites if possible)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- For the Filling
- 1 large carton of fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Maple Syrup Chocolate Sauce
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 6 ounces good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper and grease the sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift flour with ¾ cup of the sugar, set aside.
- Using a standup mixer, beat egg whites using the whisk attachment until foamy. Add lemon juice, cream of tartar and salt. Beat until soft peaks form. Beat in the vanilla extract and the remaining sugar, 2 tbsp at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Add the sifted flour mixture on the top, one-quarter at a time, gently folding in each addition until blended. Make sure to fold the batter gently.
- Divide the batter equally into the 3 lined pans and smooth the tops with your spatula. Gently tap the pans on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25mins or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Place the cakes on cooling racks.
- Meanwhile, make your chocolate sauce.
- In a saucepan bring maple syrup to a boil, remove from heat and stir in chocolate, butter and salt. Stir until smooth and blended.
- Whip your cream, adding vanilla and icing sugar until soft peaks form.
- Build your cake. Place your first layer of cake on your cake stand and spread a layer of whipping cream on top. Place sliced strawberries on top of the whipping cream. Now place your next layer of cake on top and gently press down. Repeat, cream and strawberries, then the next layer of cake, and lastly a layer of cream. Scrape the extra cream that has pushed out from each layer, leaving some on the side for a pretty effect.
- Add chocolate sauce to sliced pieces of cake.