Here is the perfect treat to make this spring; sweet little bundles of coconut with a chewy center and a crunchy exterior, known as the coconut macaroon! With only 5 ingredients, this will easily become the quickest and tastiest treat that the whole family will love and you’ll love making them.
These macaroons are for the coconut lover in the family… but I’ve yet to meet anyone who doesn’t love a good coconut macaroon!! They are light and sweet, chewy yet crunchy, can be dressed up with chocolate or left plain and nutty. You can make them into cute little nests and put chocolate eggs on top for a fun Easter celebration too.
As a kid, Easter was one of my favourite holidays – all the pretty pastel colours, doing lots of fun crafts; like painting eggs and of course hunting for all that candy the Easter Bunny left! Making coconut macaroons can be a fun activity with the kids as they are so simple to make and they are on the lighter side as a treat (they are also gluten free for those who are intolerant). I found some really pretty pastel chocolate covered almonds at the bulk store, that would be cute to put on top of coconut macaroon nests for Easter. You can easily make nests by pushing your thumb into your coconut mound.
I ended up dividing my coconut macaroons into 3 batches, Easter nests (to fill with candy eggs), plain coconut and drizzled dark chocolate coconut. I like the variety as the recipe does make lots so you can afford to play a little. You can also dip the macaroons in chocolate to cover the bottoms but I only wanted a little accent of the dark chocolate to compliment the coconut. If you’re looking for a little more of a chocolatey bite I’d suggest dipping them as well as drizzling the tops.
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe!
Happy Easter baking!
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ cup instant sugar (extra fine sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Dark chocolate (optional) melted
- chocolate eggs/candied shaped eggs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (using the whisk attachment) beat egg whites at medium speed until foamy. Very slowly add your sugar. Add salt and vanilla.
- Raise the speed to high and beat for approx. 1-2 minutes until egg whites have doubled in size and are glossy.
- Add coconut. Using a spatula gently fold coconut into egg whites until combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, spoon out small mounds of coconut mixture onto your prepared baking sheet. Approx. 1 - 1½ inches in size and place 1 inch apart.
- Bake in the middle of your oven for 12-15 minutes, just until the coconut starts to brown on the top and bottom.
- Remove from pan and cool on a rack.
- Optional; drizzle cooled cookies with dark chocolate or make Easter nests by pressing your finger into the center of the cookie before baking.