This little cutie is One! I can’t believe how quickly time is flying by. We are having such a blast together; swimming at the beach, going for walks, playing catch, playing more catch and yes Sophie loves playing catch!! She follows me everywhere; to the bathroom, up the stairs – down the stairs, and when I forget something and have to go back up the stairs, yup, Sophie is right there thumping behind me.
When I first got Sophie and started bringing her to the (strange) world of dog parks here in Toronto, everyone asked me if she was a rescue dog and from what country? Seems like I’m one of a very few who got my dog from Kijiji (in Bellville) and not from Mexico or the streets of Cuba. In all honesty Sophie rescued me!! I know it sounds cheesy, but it’s true!
She brings me so much joy and I just love having her around (even though it’s not always the easiest). Getting Sophie was the best decision I ever made! And to celebrate her I thought I’d try baking her a special all natural, homemade cake! I love baking for my family, and she’s part of my family now, so why not?!
And to add to the celebration I thought it would be fun to team up with the cutest little dog shop around and do a giveaway for all you dog lovers out there. I discovered Rover Boutique at the One of a Kind Show last Christmas and just loved AnneMarie’s work. She makes the most adorable bow tie collars and accessories for your best friend. One lucky winner can win the Lake Tahoe Bow Tie Collar that Sophie is wearing!! Enter the contest below for your chance to win.
Check out Rover Boutique for more fun ideas and let me know how your pup enjoys his/her cake!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree (*make sure it's not pumpkin pie puree)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ⅓ cup peanut butter (all natural)
- ½ (approx.) cup plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease two 6" cake pans with coconut oil, set aside.
- In a medium bowl add flour and baking soda together and mix well.
- In a large bowl, add melted coconut oil, egg, pumpkin puree, chicken broth and peanut butter. Mix well to incorporate all ingredients together. Add your flour mixture and stir together.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared baking pans. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack until completely cool. Stack the two cakes on top of each other and pour yogurt over the top of the cake.
- Serve cake to your special pup.