I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream – Sandwiches of Course!
I decided it’s about time to get into the summer spirit and make a cool, fun treat using my favourite ice cream, Kawartha Dairy, and my everything Cookie Dough. I actually had both kicking around in my freezer so it seemed fitting to pair these two together and make ice cream sandwiches. I used plain vanilla ice cream, and my cookie dough was filled with marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, chopped peanuts, coconut, and sprinkles! These little guys are perfect for the kids, they’ll love them and will have fun making them too!
If you want the best ice cream sandwich, start with the best ice cream! BUZZFEED conducted a survey as to where to get the most mid-blowing ice cream in all of Canada.
Of the twenty-three places that were chosen – Kawartha Dairy in Bobcaygeon, Ontario was rated NUMBER 1! Bobcaygeon is a sweet little town 45 minutes from our family cottage and the trip there is always well worth it. I love to enjoy a cone of Kawartha Dairy ice cream and to visit the famous Bigley’s Shoe store (another weak spot of mine!).
Do you know what the favourite ice cream flavours of Canadians are? Well, it depends on what websites you visit…but Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, Butterscotch, and Caramel are on the top of the list. What is the most popular Cookie? The classic Chocolate Chip ranks at the top, with Oatmeal, Peanut Butter, Snickerdoodle and Sugar Cookies falling in behind.
So how can you combine these summertime delights? By trying your own combinations which are endless. You can pair Mint Chocolate Chip with a Chocolate Chip cookie or how about a Sugar Cookie paired with Salty Caramel Truffle ice cream…Yummy! It’s pretty simple to make your own ice cream sandwich. All you have to do is bake up a batch of cookies and sandwich it between your favourite ice cream, and voila! Okay there’s a little more to it, but I’ll give you my tips in the recipe below to make a professional and easy to eat ice cream sandwich!
The fact is these little ice cream sandwiches represent all the best things about summer. They are delicious, fun to make and appeal to everyone…but you better enjoy them quickly!
- 1 tub Vanilla Kawartha Dairy Ice Cream
- 1 recipe - Everything Cookie Dough
- Let ice cream sit at room temperature for approx. 30 minutes, just until it starts to soften.
- Line a 9"x11" baking dish (or a loaf pan) with parchment paper, leaving the edges of the parchment paper to over hang (this way you can easily lift out the ice cream with the extra parchment paper).
- Empty the ice cream into the lined baking dish and level the ice cream out, approx. 1 inch to 1½ inches thick. Cover with foil or plastic and place it back in the freezer until set, about 2 hours or over night.
- Meanwhile bake your cookies.
- Spoon cookie dough in approx. 1 tablespoon mounds so all cookies are the same size.
- Make sure to under bake your cookies so they are soft and easy to bite through once they are made into sandwiches.
- Once the cookies have cooled, pull out your ice cream and lift out of the baking dish. Using a round cookie cutter just smaller than the size of your cookies, cut out ice cream rounds.
- Place each round disc on the back side of a cookie and lightly press another cookie on top, repeat with the remaining cookies.
- Serve right away.
- If your ice cream sandwiches are melting, pop them back in the freezer to harden.