Lately, I’ve been so busy that I’ve barely had time to do the basics – sleep, eat and take care of myself! Sometimes life just gets in the way and all we can do is our best to take each day at a time, right?!! At times like these when I’m running low on fuel, I like to have healthy snacks or breakfasts that can keep me energized and going throughout the day! I’m thankful for recipes like this one; oatmeal cups that are packed with goodness and easy to grab on the go! I can make this recipe up ahead of time, making 3 different varieties using only the one recipe. I freeze the oatmeal cups individually so when I’m in a hurry or on the go I can easily grab a cup or two and have a healthy snack. This recipe also makes a decent amount, is incredibly simple and you can customize your own flavours, how perfect is that?!
My 3 Flavours of Choice are;
- Peanut butter and Banana
- Blueberry Nut
- Pumpkin Spice
My favourite has to be the peanut butter and banana; they definitely keep me full for a long time! I love getting a random bite of creamy peanut butter! Runner-up is the blueberry nut; I like eating these warmed up in the toaster oven with coconut yogurt. They would be great at work, where you could heat them up in the microwave and pour a little yogurt and honey on top (just an idea)!! Last but not least, is the pumpkin spice; inspired for fall with pumpkin seeds on top. Great to enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea on the way to work!
- Apple Walnut
- Mixed Berries with Almonds
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
- Coconut Cranberry
Be creative, have fun and pick nuts and seeds that you may not always use!
- 4 cups Large Flake Oats
- ½ cup hemp hearts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups milk (or almond milk)
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Peanut Butter Banana
- 2 large ripe bananas; mashed
- ½ cup natural crunchy peanut butter
- Pumpkin Spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- Blueberry Nut
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Spray 2 muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl add oats, hemp hearts, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, add milk, honey, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix together. Add to your dry ingredients and mix well. Let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes to let the liquid absorb into your oats.
- Set out 3
medium sizebowls, divide the oat mixture evenly between the 3 bowls, including any extra liquid.
- Bowl one, add peanut butter and mashed bananas to your oat mixture. Mix to combine.
- Bowl two, add blueberries, sunflower seeds and pecans to your oat mixture. Mix to combine.
- Bowl three, add pumpkin puree, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger to your oat mixture. Mix to combine.
- Using a large ice-cream scoop, scoop out each
flavourinto your prepared muffin cups. Top pumpkin seeds on the pumpkin cups.
- Place in the middle of the rack and bake for approx. 20 minutes or until the edges start to brown. Let cool in muffin tins and remove when cool.
Oatmeal cups freeze well. Store in individual freezer bags for up to a month or an airtight container for two months.
Enjoy reheated or at room temperature.