Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I finally perfected the ultimate fall treat for all of you to try at your dinner table! This treat is something a little bit different than the traditional pumpkin pie. I know for a fact that there are a lot of you out there who are intimidated to make pies (I won’t mention any names here, Mom!!). But I know you can easily tackle these pumpkin squares. They have a buttery shortbread base, a pumpkin pie sort of filling and are topped with fluffy cream cheese icing. I promise you won’t miss pumpkin pie after you have one of these squares!
On beautiful fall days like these when the air feels a little cooler, crisp leaves are falling to flood the ground, and you can actually smell the change in the weather, every cafe has signs posted for pumpkin spice everything, chai lattes, and apple cider. It’s only natural to crave exactly that – fall flavours that comfort and spices that warm the body! These pumpkin squares do just that! The best part is you can say you made them yourself and can share them with your family and friends for everyone to enjoy.
Since making the last pan of these squares, I consistently crave another one and then maybe just one more 😉 They are so addictive, be warned friends! I am super happy with how these pumpkin squares turned out and I really hope you all try them. Pumpkin pie or not you’ll want this recipe sometime during the Autumn!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter (cold and cubed)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- ½ cup cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 cups icing sugar (sifted)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a 9x9 square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor add flour and icing sugar, pulse to combine. Add cubed butter and pulse until fine crumbs form (or use a pastry cutter and cut butter into flour-sugar mixture). Pour mixture into your prepared pan and press down using your fingers, until firm and even.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 13-15 minutes (just until the shortbread starts to set).
- Meanwhile, make your filling. In a large bowl add pumpkin puree, brown sugar, eggs, and oil together. Using a whisk, whisk together until well-combined and there are no chunks of sugar.
- Add your dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Mix until combined. Add chopped pecans. Pour pumpkin filling on top of your baked shortbread base. Smooth evenly on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your icing. Add cream cheese and butter together in a mixer and whip together. Add icing sugar and vanilla. Whip until smooth and fluffy.
- Ice the top once the pumpkin base has cooled (you can speed up the process by putting the pan in the fridge to cool).
- Cut into squares and enjoy