This banana cake is a family favourite. The cake is banana-y, light, fluffy and has three layers of soft cream cheese icing.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8inch -3 layer cake 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Canadian
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 ripe bananas, lightly mashed
- 2 1/2 cups cake and pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350˚F, line 3 round pans with parchment paper and grease the sides (use 8 inch or 9 inch pans).
- Using a stand mixer, beat butter and sugars together until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat until fluffy. Add vanilla extract and mix. Fold in mashed bananas.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to banana mixture and alternate with buttermilk until combined.
- Separate the batter into 3 equals parts and pour into prepared pans. Bake in the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean and the sides are starting to brown.
- Let cake cool for 5-10 minutes on a cooling rack then place right into the freezer while you make your icing. Freeze for approx. 20 minutes. Then remove from pans to assemble cake.
- Alternate cake and icing until you have 3 total layers. See cream cheese icing recipe below.
Keywords: Banana Cake, Dessert, Cake