These are the best double chocolate muffins you’ll bake! They are rich, super chocolatey, and moist from the yogurt, with a crunchy coconut top.
Happiness is a chocolatey treat that’s comforting and goes with your favourite cup of jo! But here’s the thing if you’re going to enjoy something this decadent first thing in the morning – like these double chocolate coconut yogurt muffins, make sure you mean business! Seriously, they are chocolate on chocolate and you can’t be sorry about it. So don’t bother cutting back on the chocolate or the sugar, enjoy what they are or else you’re just robbing yourself of something delicious. Savour your treat, it’s better than buying a chocolate cake to fix that craving later!
The yogurt in these muffins makes me feel like I’m balancing the unhealthy part, ha! Let’s be real, I’m dreaming right?! But it does help keep these muffins moist. Just like buttermilk it keeps baked goods moist and tender by breaking down gluten and adding that acidic tang. Buttermilk, yogurt and sour cream are key baking ingredients and I just love working with them, especially in muffins. If you haven’t discovered baking with these ingredients yet, well, you’re missing out. Whenever I have sour cream or buttermilk kicking around in the fridge I feel inspired to make some muffins (one of my favourite things to bake).
What I love about double chocolate coconut yogurt muffins is the ease of popping them into the freezer and pulling one or two out. I can throw a muffin in my purse for a snack later or add one to my lunch for a busy day ahead. They are just the perfect snack; I find muffins so comforting.
Whether you want to call these double chocolate coconut yogurt muffins a dessert rather than breakfast or a snack, just make sure you try them, share them and enjoy each and everyone one of them!
Double Chocolate Coconut Yogurt Muffins
These are the best double chocolate muffins yet. They are super chocolatey, and moist (from the yogurt) with a crunchy coconut top.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Baking
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or vegetable, safflower, or coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (224 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (80 g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (170 g) chocolate chips and/or chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (extra to sprinkle on top of muffins)
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line a muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix sugar with eggs, yogurt, milk, oil and vanilla. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine dry ingredients. Add coconut and chocolate chips; mix together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring lightly until just combined.
- Evenly spoon batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle extra coconut on top of each muffin.
- Place muffins in the middle of your preheated oven. Bake for 5 minutes then turn heat down to 350˚F and continue to bake for another 10 – 12 minutes or just until tops start to crack and are set. DO NOT OVERBAKE!
- Let cool in the pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Store muffins in a tin for 2-3 days or store in a freezer bag and freeze for up to a month.
Best enjoyed the day of for crunchy muffin tops.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 293g
- Sugar: 22.1g
- Sodium: 98mg
- Fat: 15.4g
- Saturated Fat: 6.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 36.8g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
Keywords: Chocolate, Muffins, Breakfast, Treat, Coconut
You may also like: