If you’re a scone fan, you’ll love these buttery, flaky lemon blueberry scones. They are filled with juicy blueberries that add moisture to the dough and the slight zest of lemon adds a fresh citrusy flavour.
I find comfort in the kitchen baking scones, waiting only a short time before the smell of buttery goodness fills my home. I love working with my hands; cutting the butter into the flour, making a ragged dough; shaping and patting the dough into a pile and cutting it into desired shapes. Finally, the tops are brushed with cream and generously sprinkled with coarse crystal like sugar. Sounds lovely if you ask me?!
With a hot cup of tea and a flaky scone bursting with blueberries I can’t think of a better way to slow down, find a moment of peace and enjoy simple moments like these!
And I was due for a moment of baking like this! Lately, work has been so busy that I haven’t taken a moment to sit and relax, to stop and enjoy what I love. Scones don’t take a lot of time to make so really there are no excuses (even for myself), if anything it will help you take a moment for yourself. Am I alone on this, or do any of you feel the same as me?
I love these blueberry lemon scones. They are filled with juicy blueberries that add moisture to the dough and the slight zest of lemon adds a fresh taste. There’s no need to add anymore butter but heck if you’re a butter lover go right ahead and load up those scones (I won’t tell 😉 ).
Tips for the Perfect Scones
- Use good quality ingredients, aka butter!
- The colder the butter, the better! Try not to overwork the butter, as it will soften. Cold butter makes scones rise higher.
- If your butter isn’t cold, pop it into the freezer.
- Cut butter into cubes before attempting to mix into flour.
- Use fresh fruit instead of frozen fruit.
- If you’re adding fruit, nuts, chocolate etc. make sure it is the last step or fold it into the shaped dough at the end.
- Don’t add more liquid!! The dough should be crumbly, if you add too much liquid the scones will be tough.
- Don’t overmix your dough or they will come out tough. Use a light hand and pat the dough together.
- Make sure your oven is preheated before placing scones into the oven!!
- Keep scones as cold as possible until you’re ready to put them into the oven. This will help make them rise better.
Take some time to relax and enjoy a home baked scone! hope you found this post on lemon blueberry scones & tips for the perfect scones helpful.
Lemon Blueberry Scones
If you’re a scone fan, you’ll love these lemon blueberry scones. They are filled with juicy blueberries that add moisture to the dough and the slight zest of lemon adds a fresh taste.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: British
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup full milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Milk for brushing tops of scones (or whipping cream)
- Sugar crystals to sprinkle on top of scones
- Preheat your oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl add sugar and lemon zest together, mix and press lemon zest into sugar to release the juice and flavour of the lemon.
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar mixture together. Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture until fine crumbs form.
- Add milk and mix with a fork until ragged (your mixture will be dry). Add blueberries and gently with your fingers toss together.
- Pour mixture out onto a lightly floured work surface and bring together (gently, not to overmix). Pat and shape into a circle 1 inch thick. Using a sharp knife cut into 8 triangles (4 cuts).
- Place each triangle on your lined baking sheet approx. 2 inches apart.
- Brush the tops of the scones with milk and sprinkle the tops with sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bottoms are browned and scones have puffed and set in the middle.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 417
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 138mg
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 74.1g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 9.6g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
Keywords: Lemon Blueberry Scones, Scones, Biscuits, Breakfast, Blueberry
You may also like: