This Persian inspired pavlova is flavoured with rosewater, it’s light, airy, yet crisp with a marshmallowy centre. It’s filled with pistachios, pomegranates and blackberries and drizzled with caramel sauce. It’s a show stopper of a dessert that no one can resist!
Let me start by setting the mood with beautiful bright punches of pink, red and gold; rich textures and oh the fragrances – of delicate and lovely roses, and jasmine filling the air. Persian nights are exotic and full of colour and smells that excite the soul. This is where my mind drifts when I think of my travels to Morocco or perhaps one day heading to the Middle East. The Persian style inspires me to see something different in an original recipe. This is a recipe that I have baked time after time and now is changed into something new and unfamiliar by breaking out of the ordinary classic pavlova recipe. It’s like a little piece of the Middle East but without the travels; it’s a Persian inspired pavlova!
Pavlovas are normally seen as a summer dessert, but can make a lovely winter treat too. This Persian inspired pavlova with pistachios, pomegranates and blackberries is drizzled with caramel. Layer upon layer of crisp, light and airy pavlovas are stuffed with flavoured rosewater cream for a touch of the east.
I’m absolutely in love with this combination and how beautifully the dessert came together. It was the perfect show stopping cake to celebrate a very special woman who continually teaches me to step outside my comfort zone in my baking world. My mom and I have been partners in the kitchen since I was a little girl and as I’ve grown older we now switch roles on who takes the lead. So when it’s time to bake for her it’s nice to make something a little different. She always enjoys the taste of something new and exciting, especially since she is well travelled and has tasted flavours from all around the world (although she would wish to travel more.. yes I know mom, me too!).
Pavlovas are fairly simple to make but the best part – they can be made ahead of time. That’s what I love about this dessert, all the prep work is done beforehand and then put together on the day of. I made this cake for my mom’s birthday not only because I could do everything the day ahead but it’s a huge crowd-pleaser, gluten free and in my opinion, an absolute stunner – a beautiful focal point for a special birthday!
When it’s time to celebrate someone special, as my mom is to me, it means you need to make something just as special! Maybe make it a little exotic and perhaps step out of your baking comfort zone! This Persian inspired pavlova cake is just that and so much more.
Please don’t hesitate to ask me questions about the recipe or making this tiered pavlova cake! I’m always happy to help 🙂
Persian Inspired Pavlova –
This Persian inspired pavlova is flavoured with rosewater, it’s light, airy, yet crisp with a marshmallowy centre. It’s filled with pistachios, pomegranates and blackberries and drizzled with caramel. It’s a show stopper of a dessert that no one can resist! This pavlova recipe is to be baked using a convection oven setting. This is so all the meringues in the oven get baked evenly. It’s also gluten free.
- Prep Time: 35 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 55 mins
- Yield: 1 - 2 tiered cake 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Australian / Persian
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 8 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/4 teaspoons rosewater extract (optional, or can use vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 cup pomegranates
- 1 cup blackberries, cut in halves (plus a handful left whole for decorating)
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- Preheat a convection oven to 235˚F degrees.
- Using a pencil trace or draw three 8 inch circles on parchment paper and two 4 inch circles.
- Arrange the circled paper on 2 or 3 baking sheets (you’ll want to have the smaller circles on their own baking sheet, as you will remove them earlier in the baking process). Leave a little room when drawing your circles as each pavlova will spread out.
- Turn the paper upside down so the pencil marks are facing down. Set aside.
- Using the whisk attachment beat egg whites, cornstarch, salt, and vinegar together on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add superfine sugar while the mixer is running. Raise the speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, about 5 – 7 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium and slowly add the icing sugar. Raise the speed and continue to beat until glossy and very stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
- Using a spatula, spread pavlova out onto your marked circled papers.
- Place baking sheets into the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Quickly remove the baking sheet with the 4 inch pavlovas. Cover them with a tea towel and let cool on the baking sheet.
- Continue to bake the large pavlovas for another hour and 20 minutes or until the outsides are firm and the bottoms easily peel off the parchment paper. Again, cover them with a tea towel and let cool on the baking sheet.
- Whip cream with icing sugar and rosewater extract until light and fluffy.
- Prep nuts, fruit and caramel.
- Add a dollop of cream to the bottom of the cake stand. Add the first large pavlova. Add a layer of whipping cream and sprinkle pistachios, blackberries and pomegranates. Drizzle caramel on top.
- Add another large pavlova on top and repeat fillings.
- Add another large pavlova. This becomes the top layer of your cake, so be mindful of how the cream and berries, nuts and caramel look. The next layer will be your 4 inch pavlova so you will see a lot of the edges. Continue with your next layer and filling. For the top only add a dollop of cream and whole fresh berries – no caramel.
- Serving Size: 1 slice of 24
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 11.9
- Sodium: 61mg
- Fat: 10.7g
- Saturated Fat: 6.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 14.2g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
Keywords: Gluten Free, Pavlova, Persian, Dessert
You may also like: