These simple pumpkin muffins are super moist and filled with warm fall spices, toasted pecans, and topped with cinnamon and sugar. They are absolutely the simplest pumpkin treat you can make this fall and winter! When it comes to baking pumpkin treats; like bread, buns, and muffins I’m always tempted to add a fluffy cream cheese icing or a glaze drizzled over the tops. I’m not sure if this is because we normally see this style of baking in big box coffee shops, or not?! But the reality is, you normally don’t need that extra icing if the pumpkin base is moist and full of flavour! In my experience the icing is there to cover up a dry, lack of flavour pumpkin treat gone wrong.
And that’s exactly why I love this simple pumpkin muffin recipe! They are far from lacking flavour or dryness, in fact even on day 4 the muffins still held their moisture! The crackling cinnamon, sugar topping looks absolutely beautiful (just like snickerdoodle cookies) and draws you right in! But, note that the tops look perfect on day 1, but sadly will disappear once you store your muffins in a tin. By no means does it look bad after day 1, the sugar just melts into the tops of the muffins. If you’re planning to serve them to guests and want that sparkling sugared top, well, you’ve been warned!
I’m not sure if you are like me, but I love having muffins around the house. They freeze well and are a great midday snack with a hot cup of tea or coffee. They are generally easy to make and don’t require small appliances. The varieties are endless. I’ve been thinking about pumpkin muffins for a while now. I’m happy I finally got into the kitchen to test these out! I think you’ll be very happy with the recipe too!
Heck if you wanted to turn these muffins into special cupcakes and add cream cheese icing, I wouldn’t be upset (although I really don’t think they need it)! Just know they are no longer a muffin, but now a cupcake!
Happy Fall Baking.
Simple Pumpkin Muffins
These simple pumpkin muffins are super moist and filled with warm fall spices, toasted pecans and topped with cinnamon and sugar. They are a perfect treat to enjoy during the fall and winter seasons with a hot cup of tea.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 18 1x
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Canadian
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line 2 muffin tins with baking cups and set aside.
- Toast pecans on the stovetop in a pan on low to medium heat until browned and fragrant. Remove from heat, let cool and roughly chop into pieces.
- In a large bowl add your dry ingredients and mix together; flours, spices and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl add your wet ingredients and sugars, whisk together; pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, vanilla extract, brown and white sugar.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients with toasted pecans. Gently fold batter together just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, approx. three quarters full.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon topping in a small bowl. Evenly sprinkle topping over each muffin top until there is no sugar left.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Don’t overbake!
Store muffins in a tin for up to three days.
The sugar topping will soften and the sugars will melt once muffins are stored and covered. Cracked topping is best served the day of. They still taste delicious either way!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 15.4g
- Sodium: 43mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 27.5g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
You may also like: