These sprinkle sugar cookies can be made for any holiday occasion. Just switch out the cookie cutter to the desired shape for your holiday. The recipe makes a lot of cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutter, between 4 to 5 dozen.
Easter is looking a bit different this year, to say the least! But I’m guessing you’ve turned into one little skilled baker while stuck at home? And I’m happy to hear that so many of you are rolling up your sleeves and digging into some sugar and flour. This Easter I’m keeping things simple and festive with sprinkle sugar cookies.
With so many new bakers out there it’s important to remember that practice makes perfect! It’s normal not to get every recipe just spot on the first go. Be kind to yourself, follow the recipe, and ask questions. Most importantly keep at it! Baking is about patience because it can be less forgiving than cooking. It’s all about the look and the feel. And at a time like now we can all benefit from some quiet time, falling into a recipe, rolling out dough, and filling the house with the aromas of buttery goodness.
The reward in the end? You’re learning a new skill, enjoying a treat, and hopefully getting to share with loved ones (if not now, pack a few cookies in the freezer or be a good neighbour and do a porch drop off).
Here’s a few tips to get the perfect sprinkle sugar cookie just right!
Sprinkle Sugar Cookie Tips
- Remember the dough needs to chill! You must chill the dough to firm up the butter. If you don’t leave time for this step you can divide the dough into smaller pieces, flatten each section, wrap in plastic and refrigerate. This will help speed things up!
- Make dough ahead of time and bake the next day.
- While one tray of cookies are baking in the oven keep the ready to bake cookies in the fridge (the colder the better before baking).
- Watch cookies carefully while baking. It can be the difference of a minute for sugar cookies to quickly go from not baked to overbaked.
- Always have the same size (shape) of sprinkle sugar cookies on one baking sheet. Different sizes of cookies will bake at different speeds. Avoid this by keeping the same shapes and sizes together.
- My favourite tool for lifting dough and awkward shapes off my work station is an offset spatula. On your next baking splurge buy a few different sizes, they come in handy for many baking projects.
- Remove cookies off your baking sheet immediately onto a cooling rack. You don’t want them to continue to bake. Under baked cookies – leave on your baking sheet to continue to bake a little longer.
Happy Easter & Stay Safe!Print
Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
These sugar cookies can be made for any holiday occasion. Just switch out the cookie cutter to the desired shape for your holiday. The recipe makes a lot of cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutter, between 4 to 5 dozen.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 48 1x
- Category: Treat
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cups (340 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (300 g) sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups (187.5 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 –3 Tablespoons Sprinkles (3 different colours)
- In a mixing bowl beat butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until dough forms into a ball.
- Divide dough into 3 even sections and using a spoon gently incorporate the sprinkles throughout each section of the dough. Flatten each ball of dough into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for one hour. Note: this step is important as you need the butter to get cold again.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Flour a work station and roll out dough to approx. 1/4 inch thick (note: at this stage I sprinkled a few extra sprinkles on top and lightly rolled them into the top of the dough).
- Cut out desired shapes and place on baking sheet 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or just until the bottoms start to brown.
- Remove baked cookies from the pan and cool on a cooling rack.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 109g
- Sugar: 5.6g
- Sodium: 67mg
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12.6g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
Keywords: Sugar Cookies, Sprinkles, Easter, Spring, Cookies, Dessert
You may also like: