My take on the classic old fashioned ambrosia salad has a modern spin using SunGold kiwifruit to freshen things up!
If you haven’t heard of ambrosia salad, then I’m pretty sure your grandma never made it for you! My grandma made ambrosia salad during the summer months for a fresh light dessert on those hot summery days. It’s full of fruit, marshmallows, and coconut, just enough sweetness and a little tang!
The old retro style uses canned fruit – pineapple, oranges, maraschino cherries, a whipped topping (like cool whip) or sour cream, coconut and pecans. I’ve decided to freshen things up, using SunGold kiwi which is sweeter than a regular green kiwifruit and tastes like a cross between a mango and a strawberry (sounds yummy right?!). I’m loving SunGold Kiwifruit right now, if you haven’t had it before you can find it at your local supermarket from May to October, so keep your eyes peeled for it! It’s packed with vitamin C, E, potassium and fiber, which is an extra bonus when adding it to your dessert like this ambrosia salad!
For the ambrosia salad I used fresh fruit, instead of the canned fruit and used greek yogurt instead of that cool whip stuff (what is that anyways??).
This is such a fun, simple, healthy light snack to have around the house on those hot summer days. Kids love the marshmallows and all the colours, mom’s love that they are feeding their kids fruit and yogurt (something on the healthy side), it’s a win win if you ask me!
Fun Facts about SunGold Kiwifruit
- SunGold Kiwifruit contains Vitamin C, E, potassium and fiber!
- Zespri Kiwifruit can be enjoyed on it’s own using the “Cut & Scoop” method or in a recipe. In other words, kiwifruit is an easy to eat fruit!
- SunGold kiwi has a smooth hairless skin and a juicy yellow flesh!
- Two kiwifruit contain the same amount of fiber as a bowl of bran flakes!
- One kiwifruit provides all your daily vitamin C needs!
- Studies have proven that eating kiwifruit improves mood and vitality!
- One kiwi fruit contains as much potassium as a medium banana!
- 3 SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and chopped
- 1½ cups mini coloured marshmallows
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup vanilla greek yogurt
- fresh cherries for topping
- In a large bowl add all ingredients together (except cherries) and mix to combine
- Refrigerate for approx. 1 hour before serving (so marshmallows can absorb all the flavours)
- Spoon into individual bowls and top with cherries
This blog post has been sponsored by SunGold Kiwifruit. I had so much fun learning about SunGold kiwifruit and have fallen in love with this sweet fruit. I can’t wait to come up with more recipes using it! I hope you guys get to the grocery stores and try it too!