These waffles are simple and fun to make. They are loaded with chunks of green apples and mixed with loads of cinnamon to add a whole new waffle dimension!
Breakfast is by far my favourite meal of the day! I’m a sucker for fresh bread, croissants, and pastries paired with hot coffee or tea; alongside with eggs, bacon and some fresh fruit! I could keep going on about all the breakfast foods; crepes, frittatas, sausage… the list is long!
I love to make waffles for breakfast and I always like having extras waffles for the week. I will make a large batch and stick the extras in the freezer. It’s super easy to pull a few out in the morning and pop them in the toaster to defrost. It reminds me of being a kid and having Eggo waffles before school!
Waffles are super easy to make and it’s fun to play with all the flavour combinations. I recently visited Buckhorn Berry Farm and brought home a basket full of colourful and crisp apples. Clearly, you know what happens next. Yup, apple cinnamon waffles!! The combination of apple and cinnamon is not new, it’s a classic and why mess with a classic?! They pair so beautifully together and when baked in a hot waffle iron with a bread like batter…well I’m in breakfast heaven!
Any type of apple will work for this recipe, so use whatever apple you have or is your favorite. Normally I’d give you a list of apples that are better for cooking, baking, or snacking. But since the apple isn’t being baked for a long period of time, you don’t have to worry about it turning into applesauce!
I doused these waffles in plain yogurt, maple syrup and some more chopped apples. They are the perfect fall breakfast! On weekends, I’ll add some scrambled eggs and bacon to fancy things up! How do you like your waffles?Print
Apple Cinnamon Waffles
These waffles are simple and fun to make. They are loaded with chunks of green apples and mixed with cinnamon to add a whole new waffle dimension!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Canadian
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups milk, warm
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small green apple, approx. 1 cup – chopped into small cubes (you can leave the skins on)
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, warm milk, oil, and vanilla until well incorporated. Add chopped apples.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Mix together (lightly) until incorporated (don’t overmix).
- Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the batter into preheated waffle iron. Don’t overfill the waffle iron, the batter will spread out.
- Cook the waffles until golden and crisp.
Waffles freeze well. Place in an airtight container or a freezer bag for up to a month.
- Serving Size: 1 waffle
- Calories: 137
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 24mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 17.7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
Keywords: Waffles, Apple, Cinnamon, Breakfast
You may also like: