Soft, delicate, buttery melt in your mouth rose shaped shortbread cookies – a perfect pretty little sweet to celebrate my new perfect little niece!
NOTE: This blog post has been updated! Due to the large demand for this post I’ve gone back and made updates to the recipe and images since it was originally posted in 2015.
It’s a girl!!! I have a new little niece and she’s beautiful, little Avery Adele. To welcome her to the world my brother and his wife decided to take a different spin on the traditional baby shower. Instead, they wanted everyone to get the opportunity to meet Avery and to include the men as well. This is called a ‘Baby Meet & Greet‘. The spotlight is off the mother and on the family as a whole, it also doesn’t focus on giving gifts.
Of course, there needs to be a few traditions of what a baby shower is, like little punches of soft pink; finger foods, and pretty little sweets. Naturally, I was in charge of the desserts, and I couldn’t have been more excited. The trick is to keep everything simple and easy for transporting. You don’t want to add extra work on the day, so it’s best to keep desserts bite-size, easy to handle and made ahead of time. Plus you want a recipe that makes a lot! And this recipe is perfect for a party!!
These pretty rose shaped shortbread cookies are made with white chocolate buttercream icing and are piped into simple roses. I’ve added a short little video to show you how easy it is to pipe them. I used an Ateco Plastic Coated Decorating Bag, 18-Inch and a closed star tip Ateco Pastry Tube – Closed Star – Size 4 (Ateco tip #844 for the larger cookies). Hope this video is helpful and you’ll give it a try 🙂
NOTE: For the updated version I used Ateco tip 822 on a smaller size cookie. I wasn’t able to pipe twice around on the smaller size cookie so the newer version looks different. I still think they are as sweet as can be though.
Shortbread Cookies with White Chocolate Icing
These shortbread cookies are melt in your mouth delicious, I promise you’ll never want to make another shortbread cookie again! They are topped with white chocolate buttercream icing and pipped into sweet little roses. This recipe makes a lot of cookies perfect for a party or to freeze for later.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 8 dozen 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: British
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup instant sugar (also known as fruit sugar)
White chocolate butter cream icing
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups icing (powdered) sugar
- 1.5 oz white chocolate, melted
- 1 Tablespoons whipping cream (can substitute for full milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops red food colouring
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and instant sugar together until light and fluffy. Add flour one cup at a time until well incorporated.
- Separate dough into 3 sections; flatten into discs, wrap in plastic and chill for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300˚F.
- Meanwhile make your icing.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, mix all ingredients together until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- On a prepared surface, roll out dough 1/4 inch – 1/2 inch thick (the thicker the better).
- Using a fluted or round cookie cutter, cut out shapes and place 1- 2 inch apart on your prepared cookie sheet (don’t overcrowd or they will have a hard time baking).
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until the bottoms start to turn lightly brown, remove from cookie sheet and cool on a cooling rack.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, pipe icing in rose shapes (see video above to learn how).
Let cookies sit out for 6 to 12 hours before packing into a container. The tops need to firm up before handling.
Store in an air tight container. They also freeze very well!
You can easily half the recipe too.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 5.8g
- Sodium: 38mg
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 11.2g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
Keywords: Shortbread, Cookies, Dessert
You may also like: