These cinnamon cookies are a soft buttery shortbread that melt in your mouth and are topped with cinnamon buttercream icing. They are the perfect cookie for the fall and leading up to the holidays.
With fall, comes warm rich flavours and I can’t stop thinking about cinnamon. I’m not sure why, maybe I passed a sign on the sidewalk with today’s features and caught a glimpse of the word ‘cinnamon’. Either way, I decided to test some shortbread cookies with cinnamon icing for the family this past weekend. And wow, these buttery shortbread cookies are the perfect fall treat and pair lovely with a hot cup of tea (they just melt in your mouth).
Judging by the reactions and the empty plate, they were a big hit with the family too!
They are a simple shortbread cookie that melts in your mouth and then they are smothered in a cinnamon buttercream icing.Print
Buttery Cinnamon Cookies
These cookies are a soft buttery shortbread that melt in your mouth and are topped with cinnamon buttercream icing. They are the perfect cookie for the fall and leading up to the holidays.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Canadian
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
For the Icing
- 1 cup (approx.) icing sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1– 2 Tablespoon whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat butter with sugar, add the vanilla.
- Slowly add the cornstarch then the flour, mix on low until smooth.
- Roll into 1 Tbsp balls and place on a cookie sheet approx. 2 inches apart. Use the bottom of a glass or the palm of your hand, lightly press cookie balls approx. ½ inch flat.
- Bake for 10 mins or until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Let cool on a cooling rack.
- For the icing, cream butter with sugar and cinnamon add whipping cream and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Spread icing over cooled cookies and sprinkle with extra cinnamon.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Sodium: 68mg
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated Fat: 6.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
Keywords: Shortbread Cookies, Cinnamon, Cookies, Treat, Christmas, Buttercream
You may also like: