Cookies are the perfect treat to share, to have around the house, or just to enjoy with a friend and a cup of tea! There are the classics like peanut butter and chocolate chip but what about changing things up a little and trying something new?! These lemon poppyseed cookies are the perfect treat to do just that! They are lemony and fresh with a crisp outer layer and are chewy and soft on the inside. These cookies are a slice and bake cookie, meaning you make the dough, roll in a log then refrigerate the dough so it gets nice and firm. After it is firm you simply slice the cookie roll and bake away!
These lemon and poppyseed cookies have quickly become a favourite in our household. I always like to keep a roll or two in the freezer, ready to pop out and bake when a craving returns!
How to keep slice and bake cookies round?
There’s no real trick when it comes to keeping a slice and bake cookie round, you simply need to keep rolling the log so it doesn’t get a flat edge when it rests. After rolling the dough into a log, roll and wrap it onto wax paper then place it into the fridge for a few hours to firm up. Every once in and while take the log out and give it a roll to reshape, do this about 2 – 3 times as it’s firming up.
I’ve heard of tricks like rolling the log into an empty paper roll or wrapping paper roll. Honestly, this seems like a lot more work to me than just heading to the fridge and giving the dough a few extra rolls!
Freeze for Later
Yup, you can freeze the dough!! These lemon and poppyseed cookies freeze so well, making them the perfect cookie to have extra on hand. They will be ready to pull out of the freezer, slice and bake when unexpected guests arrive! Simply make the dough, roll it into a log, wrap and freeze! Pull the log out of the freezer and let the dough defrost slightly. Using a sharp, large knife slice and bake as usual.
Double this recipe to freeze more cookie logs or divide your dough into two instead of the one cookies log noted in the recipe.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Let me know what you think in the comments below! Happy baking. 🙂
Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
These lemon and poppyseed cookies are a slice and bake cookie! They are lemony and fresh with a crisp outer layer and are chewy and soft on the inside. They are a great change from a classic chocolate chip cookie and the dough freezes well. The recipe doubles easily.
- Prep Time: 2 hours 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 2 dozen 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: British
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- zest of a lemon, approx. 2 teaspoons
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, add egg to combine. Add lemon zest and lemon juice, continue to beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, poppy seeds, baking soda and salt together.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture. Beat until dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a work surface and roll into a log approx. 10 -12 inches long.
- Roll log onto a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper. Wrap tightly. Place the log in the fridge to firm up for approx. 2 – 3 hours. Occasionally check on your log and re-roll so you don’t get a flat edge.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Once the cookie dough is firm use a sharp large knife and slices 1/2 inch thick slices down the entire log.
- Place cookies on a prepared cookie sheet approx. 2 inches apart and bake for 8 – 10 minutes until cookies just start to brown around the edges.
- Let cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Store in an airtight container for up tp 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 89
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Sodium: 106mg
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12.3g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
You may also like: