Here’s an easy, quick summer dessert that you can make ahead of time. This strawberry rhubarb galette is a rustic version of a pie. The pastry is perfectly buttery and flaky and is filled with fresh sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb.
Let’s celebrate Canada Day with this super simple strawberry rhubarb galette! The bright red strawberries and rhubarb are as vibrant as Canada and it’s the perfect dessert to represent the season’s juicy, sweet, red berries! Whether you’re hosting a backyard BBQ, heading to the cottage, or packing a picnic to watch the fireworks, this dessert will make your life a little sweeter and a little easier!
A galette is the ultimate crowd-pleasing summer party dessert; using local fruit and paired with some ice cream, you can’t go wrong (everyone loves pie). It’s fresh, fun to make, and easy! You can make it up ahead of time, leaving you more time for relaxing and playing and if you’re having a picnic you can make the galette into mini individual sizes for simple transportation and less mess.
Useful Pastry Tips
- Make pastry dough ahead of time and keep some dough in the freezer for a quick, easy dessert for last-minute guests. Just make sure you let the dough come back to room temperature before you try and roll out the dough.
- When working with pastry make sure to handle the dough as little as possible. You want to keep the dough nice and cold – using cold butter, cold Crisco, and cold water.
- Putting the pastry dough in the fridge to rest isn’t absolutely mandatory but is ideal. It helps the gluten relax and firms up the fats for a flaky crust.
- Form pastry dough into a disc, not a ball when letting the dough rest in the fridge. This helps when you are rolling the dough out into a circle, as it’s already in the shape. It also cools the pastry faster in the fridge.
Useful Galette Tips
- Roll your dough out on parchment paper. This makes for an easy transition to move your galette onto your baking sheet. Just slide your rimless baking sheet under the parchment paper and cut off any extra paper.
- Since you are using a rimless baking sheet, the juices will leak out of the galette and will spill all over the oven. Make sure to have another pan to catch the extra liquid.
- Let the galette cool before trying to remove it from the parchment paper. The pastry will break apart while it’s hot and the juices will continue to spill out. Let the juices cool and thicken.
Strawberry Rhubarb Galette
A simple version of a rustic pie – the galette! An easy spring/summer dessert that you can make ahead of time. Serve warm or cold and pair with ice cream.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 1 large Galette 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: French
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup Crisco, cold (shortening)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Milk for brushing galette
- coarse sugar to sprinkle on edges
- 1 Tablespoon of cold butter cut into cubes
- In a food processor add flour and salt, blend until incorporated.
- Add cold butter cubes and pulse until butter resembles fine little crumbs.
- Add Crisco/shortening and pulse until mixture resembles fine little crumbs (don’t overdo it).
- Slowly add your cold water and pulse until the dough forms into a ball, or gently shape into a ball by hand.
- Flatten dough into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prep your strawberries and rhubarb. In a large bowl add sugar, mix well to coat (note: if your fruit is really juicy add a little flour to thicken it – approx. 2 teaspoons).
- Let strawberries and rhubarb rest while the pastry is in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Roll out a large piece of parchment paper and tape the corners down, dust with flour. In the middle of the parchment paper roll out the dough into a circle to desired thickness.
- Pour fruit and juice into the middle of the circle leaving approx. 3-4 inches around the circle empty.
- Gently fold the edges of the pastry over the fruit, leaving the middle open.
- Brush the pastry edges with milk and sprinkle coarse sugar on top. Dollop butter over the top of the fruit.
- Slide your baking pan under the parchment paper and transfer the galette onto the baking pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until edges are golden and the middle is set and bubbly (note: if the edges are browning too fast, cover with tin foil).
- Let the galette cool for approx. 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 slice of 12
- Calories: 251
- Sugar: 6.2g
- Sodium: 106mg
- Fat: 16.6g
- Saturated Fat: 8.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 23.5g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
Keywords: Strawberry, Rhubarb, Galette, Pie, Pastry, Summer, Dessert
You may also like: